Broad Street United Methodist Church
155 Central Avenue
Founded in 1837,
Church is one of the oldest congregations in the city of
Cleveland . For nearly thirty years after its founding, the parish thrived, and in 1849 served as host of the first Holston Conference session convened in the region. However, the church did not escape the tumultuous 1860ís without some strife.
Indicative of the tense mood within many areas of
East Tennessee during the Civil War and Reconstruction, the turmoil at what is now Broad Street United Methodist in 1865 ended in a divided congregation. The faction that voted to leave the parish remained loyal to the Methodist Episcopal Church, and formed a new parish that is known now as
Church . The remnant that remained loyal to the Methodist Episcopal Church, South dedicated itself to preserving its depleted parish. Known as Lea Street Methodist Episcopal Church, South, the parish once again grew and thrived. In 1893 the congregation erected its present building. When Lea Street was changed to Broad Street , the church, too, changed its name.