Decatur United Methodist Church
145 Vernon Street
was formed from
in 1836, with
designated as the county seat. Two years later, in 1838, a group of Methodists formed what is now the
. Like so many other parishes in the region, the first services were conducted in the county courthouse. The church built a structure around 1857 which has been incorporated in the current building. The
building is listed on the National Register of Historic Places.