200 Church Street
Founded in July of 1837, First Cumberland Presbyterian Church has been fixture in
since the city’s infancy. The 28 founding members met in the log courthouse and organized the parish on the sixteenth of July, and for years after that time the old log courthouse served as their sanctuary. As the congregation grew it was necessary to construct a worship facility that would accommodate the large numbers of worshipers. On the west side of Waterhouse Street, in the area that was known later as Mill Row, the Cumberland Presbyterians constructed their first church. In 1857 a second sanctuary was built on the sight of the present building at 200 Church Street.